24 October 2008

Looking Back: Season 1 Episode 1

I started re-watching Season 1 this week, partly because I just don't remember it that much, partly because I want to speak more intelligently about it with people who have watched it more recently, and partly because it's a symptom of my obsession. While I was watching Episode 1 ("Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"), I thought about some things I had really loved the first time around and some things I had not picked up on in my initial viewing:

1. My goodness, the costuming and scenery is outstanding in this episode! It feels more obvious to me than it does in current episodes. I need to look and see if it is because they were more heavy handed in the pilot in order to familiarize us with the period or if there are simply more substantial ideas that I am paying more attention to.

2. The last shot of Don with the kids while Betty looks over is so interesting, the way it portrays this false idyll that they are living. If I had seen only that scene, I would think this to be a recreation of Donna Reed, but what a great way to show just how false that idea is.

3. The dynamic between Don and Pete is fantastic! Pete doesn't know whether he wants to kiss up to Don or fight with him.

Also, there was this copywriter I didn't recognize who appears early on, then seems to float away. I wonder if that's the person Harry keeps referring to in the episode in which he becomes head of the TV department.

No comments: